Home Assist

What is the Home Assist Scheme?

Barossa & Light Home Assist was set up to provide services to enable people to remain living safely in their own home, maintain independence and enhance their quality of life. 


Who is eligible for Assistance?

Residents of the Barossa Council and Light Regional Council who are either :

  • Frail Aged - people aged 65 or over who are frail
  • People on a Disability Support Pension


What services are available?

Our team of handymen, gardeners and domestic assistants are able to do cleaning, gardening, shopping, window washing, gutter cleaning, and other basic home maintenance tasks.

We are also able to do some simple home modifications such as installing ramps and grab rails.

If the service you require is not listed, contact us anyway as we may still be able to help or link you with another organisation to meet your needs.


How much help can I get?

Depending on your needs we can provide : 

  • One-off services - you call us when you notice that a job needs to be done.
  • Short term services - when you need regular help for a short period of time, for example cleaning or shopping assistance for a few weeks or months after an operation or injury.
  • On-going services - regular services such as shopping or cleaning where help is required for the foreseeable future.


How can I access the service?

Most services can be arranged over the phone - call 8563 8411 for information about how.


How much will it cost?

We ask for a donation of $7 -$10 per hour towards the costs of the contractor. 


Who will come to do the work?

We have a team of paid contractors registered with our program. All our contractors are police checked. They will contact you directly once they have received our notification and will arrange a day and time to come and carry out the work.


How often can I get help?

As a general rule our funding allows us to provide up to 16 hours, per household, per year.


Who runs the scheme?

The scheme is run by the Barossa Council. 


Who funds the scheme?

The scheme is funded by the Commonweath and State governments with support from The Barossa Council and Light Regional Council.


What happens if I am not happy with the contractor you provide?

We rely on our clients for feedback. If you are not happy with the service please call us and your complaint will be dealt with confidentially. All consumer complaints will be handled respectfully and without retribution.

Please feel free to address any issues to us directly, or through an advocate. The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner is a free service 1800 550 552.


Client’s Rights

We acknowledge our client’s rights under privacy legislation which prevents misuse of personal information.  Clients also have rights under the Freedom of Information Act which allows access to records and information retained by the Home Assist Scheme.

Refusal of service will not jeopardise access to future services.


Contact Details

P. 08 8563 8411
Monday to Friday 9am till 5pm
E. homeassist@barossa.sa.gov.au