Our Council's By-Law 5 limits the number of dogs kept at your home or any property in and outside of our region's townships.
The limit on the number of dogs kept inside a township is two (2) dogs and outside of the township three (3) dogs, (other than working dogs).
You can, however, apply for a permit to keep more than the number of dogs that are limited by our By-Law 5.
Apply for excess dogs permit
To apply for a permit, download and complete the Application for permit to keep excess dogs form and return it to our Nuriootpa Council Office at 43-51 Tanunda Road, Nuriootpa for review.
How to apply for additional dogs
You may apply for a permit to keep an excess number of dogs on your property:
- an application fee of $30 is paid
- all dogs must be registered by Dogs and Cats Online within 7 days of the permit being issued
- you may be subject to inspections by Council’s Authorised Officers
- all applications will be subject to an internal approval process and may involve a process of consultation with immediate neighbours
- submission of this application is not a permit and does not give permission to keep excess dogs at the property
- all appropriate action must be taken to ensure that the dogs do not cause a nuisance to the neighbourhood
- Council reserves the right to revoke the permit at any stage if complaints are received regarding nuisance behaviour.