Beyond Blindness Community Education Session
- 26 October 2021 at 10:00am - 11:30am
- The Barossa Council 43- 51 Taununda Road, Nuriootpa SA 5355
- No booking required.Reserve your spot by emailing Gillian Logan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 8563 8393
- Upcoming dates
- Tuesday 26 October at 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
The 2016 ABS Census recorded 384,000 people in Australia who were blind or had low vision. This is expected to grow to 564,000 by 2030 as blindness tends to be an aged - related condition with 70% aged over 65.
This free community education session is suitable for staff, volunteers, and anyone who wants to learn how to support blind or vision impaired people in the community.
Beyond Blindness is an independent South Australian Agency supporting a membership of people who have vision loss or blindness, and provides services to assist with socialising, connecting with the community, accessing goods and services as well as targeted financial assistance. Their mission is to promote independence, dignity and quality of life.
Beyond Blindness will present this community education session that will include a practical demonstration of basic guiding techniques and participants will be offered the opportunity to experience this under blindfold.
- Vision loss and blindness – The basics
- Common eye conditions and their impacts
- Verbal Communication
- Safety when moving around
- Mobility devices; including electronic aids, Long Canes and Dog Guides
- Low-vision Aids and Assistive Technologies
- General suggestions for helping
- Activities to try
Choose your session - both have the same content - and come along and meet guide dog, Walter!