Angaston Library closure
Angaston Library is now closed.
Reports on community consultations regarding future use of the library site, and provision of contemporary outreach library services to Angaston and surrounds, was delivered to Council in April 2023.
Future use of the Angaston Library site
The feedback received from the Angaston-Penrice region community suggested various ideas for the use of the space, the following two being the most noted:
- A bookable space for community groups or members to meet with provisions for access to computer, a printer and other tech facilities to facilitate the hosting of e-meetings.
- Work with community members to investigate a mental health and wellbeing support centre, similar to that run by Lifeline in Clare, known as the Clare Connect Centre.
Council has noted the feedback received, and has resolved to wait for further work to be undertaken on the Lease and Licence Reform and Community Plan review until it proceeds with any alternative use for the current space.
Future Angaston Library Services
A series of recommendations have been made for trialling service changes, including:
- Develop a proposal and costings to enable pick up of holds and returns of collection items in Angaston.
- Trial quarterly outreach library program offerings in the Angaston region (the content of this will be guided by survey responses, for example, intergenerational workshops, school holiday workshops, family history, tech help).
- Promote all library programs using posters at the former Angaston Library site, and continue to develop the library advocacy and strategy to increase community awareness of library services.
- Continue to develop the library evaluation framework to increase opportunities for community members to provide feedback.
- Commence preparing a business case for several mobile library service options as per Phase 2 of the Library Services Review including exploring lower cost options.
Council has authorised the CEO to cost the implementation of the actions and bring back a further report to Council.
The full report to Council can be found on page 452 of the 18 April 2023 Ordinary Council Meeting agenda.