Role of the Mayor
The Mayor presides over meetings and acts as the spokesperson of Council. The Mayor is elected to their office.
Formal obligations of the Mayor under the Local Government Act include:
- to provide leadership and guidance to the council; and
- to lead the promotion of positive and constructive working relationships among members of the council; and
- to provide guidance to council members on the performance of their role, including on the exercise and performance of their official functions and duties; and
- to support council members' understanding of the separation of responsibilities between elected representatives and employees of the council; and
- to preside at meetings of the council; and
- to liaise with the chief executive officer between council meetings on the implementation of a decision of the council; and
- to act as the principal spokesperson of the council; and
- to exercise other functions of the council as the council determines; and
- to carry out the civic and ceremonial duties of the office of principal member.