Skip to main content

Shipping containers and skip bins

If you intend to temporarily place a shipping container or a skip bin on a footpath, road, or council reserve, you will need to apply for a Permit.

On public land

Permit Fees

  • Roads, footpaths, and verges $100
  • Council reserves $30


The applicant or shipping container /skip bin company will need to provide confirmation of a minimum $10M public liability insurance policy for the duration of the permit to indemnify against any accident, damage or claim resulting from the activity.

Permit Application Form

Please ensure all sections of the application are completed and any documents are attached with the application form. Please email applications to or hand in your application at any Council branch office.

Placing a shipping container or skip bin on any road owned by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) will require written authorisation from that department, before consideration being given to the application by the Council. Applications will only be considered where there is no reasonable opportunity to place the shipping container or skip bin on private land and where the activity will not be hazardous to pedestrians or motorists.

On Private Land

A skip bin does not require any Council approval if it is on your land temporarily (less than 30 days). If you intend to place a shipping container on your land for more than 30 days, you will need to obtain Development Approval.

Development Application Form

We recommend that you enquire with us to determine if Development Approval or a Permit is required.

For a development approval, you will need to provide dimensions of the container, a site plan, and the timeframe for its temporary placement as part of your application form. You must also demonstrate the activity will not be hazardous to pedestrians or motorists.

Subscribe to stay up to date