Pest and vermin
- Rats and mice – Under the Public Health Act 2011 as a property owner or occupier you are responsible for preventing conditions which may contribute to a rat or mouse infestation.
- European wasps – do not disturb wasp nests or wasps as they can sting multiple times. If you find a nest location notify us so our Environmental Health Officers can eradicate it.
- Mosquitos - any body of water has the potential to act as a mosquito breeding ground. Water tank openings should be covered with mesh to prevent the entry of adult mosquitoes, and water can be treated with a small amount of kerosene or medicinal paraffin oil to deter these insects. Further information on personal protection and control against mosquitoes can be found at SA Health and Mosquito control on private land after floods and storms.
- Flies – breeding can be minimised by ensuring your waste bins have tight-fitting lids.
- Little Corellas – can be a problem in our council area and so we have implemented a control program.