Biodiversity starts in your backyard
Native Plant Giveaway
With the aim of increasing the number of Native Plants in our Barossa backyards and to supplement the replanting we are doing in our recreation park projects, The Big Project team is piloting an initial, limited native plant giveaway in collaboration with the Barossa Bushgardens and would like to offer the community 3 FREE Native Plants from the Barossa Bushgardens.
Native vegetation has an important role to play in our towns by:
- Providing food resources and habitat for native birds, insects and small mammals
- Supporting soil biota ie: the living creatures of soil
- Improving biological diversity (biodiversity), which builds resilience
- Being drought tolerant and (once established) needing less water
- Attracting natural predators to production (crops, vines, etc.) and
- Requiring less maintenance
We currently have native plant vouchers to giveaway to ratepayers in the Barossa Council region. Native plant vouchers are limited, so please secure yours early by calling us on 8563 8444 or by coming into see us at the Nuriootpa Council Office. Vouchers must be redeemed by 31 July 2022. Terms and conditions apply.
How to get your free plants
- Call The Barossa Council Customer Support Team on 8563 8444 during the months of April and May 2022 and request your Native Plant Voucher (to be eligible for a voucher you must be a ratepayer and will be asked to provide your address).
- You will then be emailed a voucher for three (3) native plants from a selected range of tube stock.
- Take your voucher into the Barossa Bushgardens during opening hours in the months of May, June and July 2022 to collect your plants.
- Plant your new native plants in your backyard and enjoy watching them grow and nourish our environment.
Barossa's Best Native Backyard Competition
Enter for your chance to win!
Entries are now open for the Barossa's Best Native Backyard competition!
Do you have a native garden in your backyard? We would love to see it! This is your opportunity to inspire other Barossa residents to contribute to the biodiversity of our landscape and plant beautiful native gardens around their home.
Share your beautiful native gardens with us by sending a photo through to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be in the running to win a pot full of native plants!
We will display all submitted images right here on the website. It doesn't have to be a whole garden, it could be a lovely pot or small section of your garden. All native plant photos will be considered. The winner will be announced on Monday, 15 August 2022. Terms and conditions apply.