Biodiversity starts in your backyard
Native vegetation has an important role to play in our towns by:
- Providing food resources and habitat for native birds, insects and small mammals
- Supporting soil biota ie: the living creatures of soil
- Improving biological diversity (biodiversity), which builds resilience
- Being drought tolerant and (once established) needing less water
- Attracting natural predators to production (crops, vines, etc.) and
- Requiring less maintenance
Barossa's Best Native Backyard
As the lucky winner, Steve has taken home a pot full of native plants, gardening gloves and a spade valued at $100.
Residents in the Barossa region were asked to submit photos of their native backyards before July 2022. Entries submitted were reviewed and a winner selected by staff at the Barossa Bushgardens.
Thank you Steve and to everyone who participated in the competition.