From July 2021 we went green with a mandatory green organics service in an effort to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
What going green means for you
From 1 July 2021 green organic services became mandatory for properties within the township boundaries of Angaston, Cockatoo Valley, Eden Valley, Lyndoch, Mount Pleasant, Moculta, Nuriootpa, Penrice, Sandy Creek, Springton, Stockwell, Tanunda, and Williamstown.
The green organic bin collection will now occur fortnightly, on the same day but opposite week to your recycling (yellow lid) bin collection. From Monday, 5 July 2021 weekday bin collections commenced. Saturday green organic bin collections ceased 3, July 2021.
If you put forward an expression of interest application to be exempt from the green organic service before Wednesday, 30 June 2021, your application will be assessed and if proved eligible you'll be exempt from the new mandatory service that commenced Monday, 5 July 2021.
Residents living in Eden Valley, Moculta, and Sandy Creek, will have until Friday, 23 July 2021 to provide an expression of interest application to be exempt from the green organic service due to being late inclusions for the service.
Once received, applications may take up to 10 business days to be assessed and for us to provide you with an update. In some instances, we may require further information from you to help with the assessment of your application.
Charges for the green organic service will be found on our Fees and Charges Register.
I already had a green organic bin, what does that mean for me?
If you're a property owner and already had a green organic bin, there is only a minor change to the service, with bins being collected on a weekday rather than the weekend.
The service day now aligns with your general (red lid) waste service, on alternate weeks to your recycling (yellow lid) waste service. The service will continue to be provided on a fortnightly basis at this stage.
If you implement a suitable composting system and no longer require a green organic service, you may apply for a green organic service exemption.
If you're a tenant that previously paid for the optional service, you'll no longer be billed as the cost will become the responsibility of the ratepayer.
Apply to opt-out
If you believe you meet the assessment criteria and conditions^ for the exemption and you'd like to express interest in opting-out of the mandatory service, you can do so by filling out the form below.
Please note that submitting the form does not guarantee you automatic exemption from the mandatory green organic service as each request is individually assessed. Please allow 10 working days for your application to be assessed. If you are eligible to be exempt from the service, the service charges will be removed at the commencement of the next financial year.
^Assessment criteria and conditions
- A property is eligible for the Green Organic Service exception if the property is within the designated
mandatory collection route
- Photographic evidence of a suitable onsite composting system (compost pile or bay, static or tumbling compost bins) will be required for the service exemption to be considered.
- A signed Statutory Declaration stating that green waste is managed through other means and will not be placed in general waste bin is to be included with the application.
- You must be the property owner or ratepayer to put forward an application for the Green Organic Service Exemption.
- An application for the Green Organic Service Exemption does not guarantee that a service exemption will be applied to the property.
- You are required to notify Council if your circumstances change, this includes moving from your current premises.
- In the event that a property is sold, the Green Organic service exemption will be revoked, charges will be reinstated on the rates notice and a Green Organic bin will be delivered to the property
- Bins that are assigned to the property must not be removed from the property when there is a change of tenants or sale of the property. All bins remain the property of SOLO Resource Recovery.