In an effort to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill, green organic bin services are mandatory for properties within the township boundaries of Angaston, Cockatoo Valley, Eden Valley, Lyndoch, Mount Pleasant, Moculta, Nuriootpa, Penrice, Sandy Creek, Springton, Stockwell, Tanunda, and Williamstown.
Green organic (green lid) bin collection occurs each fortnight on the same day but opposite week to your recycling (yellow lid) bin collection.
You will also receive a kitchen caddy at no extra cost. The caddy is a convenient unit designed specifically to capture, store and transport food waste.
The green organic waste service is included as a service charge that is applied to the Council rates notices and can be found in our Fees and Charges Register.
Food organics and gardens organics (FOGO)
The green organic waste service includes the collection of organic matter such as food scraps that can be placed in the bin.
Please ensure that only materials deemed suitable for collection are placed in the green organics bin so that waste is not contaminated and can be processed for reuse as mulch or compost with domestic and agricultural applications.
Apply to opt-out of the green organics bin service
If you believe you meet the assessment criteria and conditions^ for being exempt from the mandatory green organic bin service and you'd like to express interest in opting-out of the mandatory service, you can do so by filling out the form below.
Please note that submitting the form does not guarantee you automatic exemption from the mandatory green organic service as each request is individually assessed. Please allow 10 working days for your application to be assessed. If you are eligible to be exempt from the service, the service charges will be removed at the commencement of the next financial year. In some instances, we may require further information from you to help with the assessment of your application.
^Assessment criteria and conditions
- A property is eligible for the Green Organic Service exception if the property is within the designated
mandatory collection route
- Photographic evidence of a suitable onsite composting system (compost pile or bay, static or tumbling compost bins) will be required for the service exemption to be considered.
- A signed Statutory Declaration stating that green waste is managed through other means and will not be placed in general waste bin is to be included with the application.
- You must be the property owner or ratepayer to put forward an application for the Green Organic Service Exemption.
- An application for the Green Organic Service Exemption does not guarantee that a service exemption will be applied to the property.
- You are required to notify Council if your circumstances change, this includes moving from your current premises.
- In the event that a property is sold, the Green Organic service exemption will be revoked, charges will be reinstated on the rates notice and a Green Organic bin will be delivered to the property
- Bins that are assigned to the property must not be removed from the property when there is a change of tenants or sale of the property. All bins remain the property of SOLO Resource Recovery.