History of The Barossa Council

Proclaimed 1st July 1996.

The Barossa Council was formed through the amalgamation of District Council of Angaston, District Council of Barossa, District Council of Tanunda. The amalgamation of a portion of the District Council of Mount Pleasant took effect on 1st July 1997.

 

Former Councils History

 

District Council of Angaston

Proclaimed, 16th June 1853. Area: 214.32 square kilometres.

In 1869, a portion of Flaxman's Valley was annexed to the Flaxman's Valley Council. Following the dissolution of that Council in 1888, the portion was annexed back to the District Council of Angaston. In 1910 a portion of the District Council of Nuriootpa (proclaimed in 1867) was annexed to the District Council of Angaston, and in 1914 a portion of the District Council of Angaston was annexed to the District Council of Tanunda. The District Council of Angaston was the oldest rural Council still in existence in South Australia prior to the amalgamation in 1996.

 

District Council of Barossa

Proclaimed: 5th January 1888. Area: 379 square kilometres.

District Council of Barossa West was proclaimed 19th January 1854 and the District Council of Barossa East was proclaimed on 8th June 1854. On 21st March 1935 the District Council of Barossa annexed the greater portion of the District Council of Mount Crawford, which was proclaimed 8th June 1954.

 

District Council of Mount Pleasant

Proclaimed 21st March 1935. Area 633.4 square kilometres.

Springton and Eden Valley area was the first to be gazetted on the 9th November as the District Council of South Rhine. On the 2nd October 1884, it was gazetted that the Mount Pleasant Ward of Talunga District Council become part of the South Rhine Council. In 1887 the District Council of Flaxmans Valley was added to the South Rhine on 19th April 1888. The name District Council of South Rhine (also referred to as District Council of Jutland) was officially changed on 27th June 1918 to the District Council of Springton. The District of the South of Mount Pleasant was gazetted on 14th June 1855 as the District Council of Tungkillo. As most of the Tungkillo population looked towards Mount Pleasant as its commercial centre it was therefore decided that the District Councils of Springton and Tungkillo amalgamate to form the District Council of Mount Pleasant.

  

District Council of Tanunda

Proclaimed 16th August 1855. Area 48 square kilometres.

The only alteration to the Boundary was the addition of Sections 76 and 77 of the Hundred of Nuriootpa from the District Council of Angaston in May 1914. From the proclamation to the amalgamation in 1996, the District Council of Tanunda was the smallest rural Council in South Australia.