Councils are part of the democratic framework of Australia.
The community elects their Council Members every four years and the next general election happens in 2018. With nearly 360,000 people voting in 2014 state wide, Council elections are the biggest single voluntary civic participation activity in the State. Information about the 2018 Council elections can be found on this page:
Voting in council elections is open to broader range of people than State and Federal elections, including non-Australian citizens, non-resident landlords and businesses. Enrol now to have your say.
Under the Local Government (Elections) Act, the Electoral Commissioner of SA (ECSA) is the returning officer for all Council elections. Find ECSA information here:
Enrolling to vote
The voters’ roll for council elections consists of two components – the House of Assembly (State) roll, and the council supplementary roll.
If you are on the House of Assembly roll you will automatically receive a voting pack mailed to your registered address.
If you have moved house or changed your name, you need to complete a new enrolment form, available at your local Post Office or at the Electoral Commission SA office located at Level 6/60 Light Square, Adelaide or by calling them on 1300 655 232 to request a form be sent to you. To check and update your enrolment click here.
If you are not enrolled on the House of Assembly roll you may be eligible to register on the council supplementary roll if:
- You have been resident at your current address for one month and are not on the State Electoral Roll
- You are a sole owner/occupier of rateable property
- You are NOT an Australian Citizen but you have been a resident at your current address for one month
- You are a landlord for rateable property
- You are an organisation/business owner or occupier of rateable property
- You are a group of owners or occupiers of rateable property.
If you are not on the House of Assembly roll, please fill out one of the forms below to ENROL TO VOTE:
* Enrolment for the 2018 council elections closes at 5pm on Friday 10 August 2018.
|2018 Councils Elections timetable|
|Roll close||5pm Fri 10 Aug 2018|
|Nominations Open||Tues 4 Sept 2018|
|Nominations Close||12 noon Tues 18 Sept 2018|
|Mail out of voting materials||Mon 22 - Fri 26 Oct 2018|
|Close of voting||5pm Fri 9 Nov 2018|
Authorised by Martin McCarthy, The Barossa Council, 43-51 Tanunda Road, Nuriootpa SA 5355.