Roads and Signage


Council has adopted a 2020-21 Resheeting and Resealing Program.

Note - The nominated road may not be completed in its entirety, any queries can be directed to the Operations Coordinator through Customer Support on 8563 8444.

Council has allocated designated road categories based on road function and safety. This allows the prioritisation of resources to ensure roads are effectively maintained and managed.

Council's Public Road Register includes a full list of all roads maintained by Council. 

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure has an online Road Works Schedule which provides the community with advanced notification about future road works (including dates, times and location), a description of the works and why they are required, and details on how it may impact road users so that they can plan their travel.

Heavy and Over Dimension Vehicle Access

Council has approved Heavy Vehicle and Commodity Routes within the Barossa region. Heavy vehicle restrictions also apply with the Barossa region.

Further information is available via RAVNET and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) 

For further assistance please contact Council's Works & Engineering Team on 8563 8444.

Alteration to a Public Road - Footpath

All work within the road environment requires approval under Section 221 of the Local Government Act 1999.

Application forms for the following modifications or alterations to the road environment are required to gain approval prior to any works commencing. These include 

  • Construction of driveway crossovers,
  • Landscaping and/or Irrigation installation on road verge, 
  • Construction of electrical, gas and water connections,
  • Construction of CWMS connections, 
  • Construction of residential stormwater connections.

Download the Application Form for Construction or Modification on Council Property here.

Download the associated document - Standard and Specification for Construction or Modification on Council Property here.

For further assistance please contact Council's Works & Engineering Team on 8563 8444.

Unmade Public Roads

Council has the ability to issue permits to property owners allowing them to use the Unmade Public Road for business purposes for activities such as grazing or cropping or for access to their property.
Permit Holders are required to allow free and unrestricted access by others over the Unmade Public Road.
Land can be fenced with Council approval but any gates must remain unlocked especially where fire access is required.

All current permits will expire on 30 June 2023 and all current permit holders will be forwarded an application for a permit for the period ending 30 June 2028.

Any landowners or members of the public who have any queries or concerns should contact Customer Support on 8563 8444 or by email to 

For more information please read the Use of Unmade Public Road - Fact Sheet  and to apply please complete an application form and return to Council for assessment.


Council approval for roadside signage is required to ensure consistency across South Australia. Council has adopted industry best practice that complies with Australian Standards, Department Planning Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) and South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC) Road Sign Guidelines.

To download applications for the following click here

Rural Property Address Application Form

Road Sign Guidelines - Guide to visitor and services road signs in South Australia.pdf

To apply for a directional sign please download the Application Form and return to Council for assessment. 

For further assistance please contact Council's Works & Engineering Team on 8563 8444.